Video Coverage of Meets
04/27/2015 10:19:25 PM
User
First off this is not to be a criticism of the videographer, I realize that budget may limit cameras and their fixed vantage point can cause issue also. Our interest is specifically the middle distance and longer distance races. The tendency appears to focus (literally) on the lead two runners. I understand that yes its a race and we all like to see the times and winners of a race, but the literal focus of much of the video is on the leads and a quick, blurry pan back to a couple running behind. My daughters 4x800 team placed at the State Track Meet in 2014 literally there is no footage of her on the track. Possibly for events that the competitors get spread out - it might be nice to see an overall image of the track once the pack spreads out. This would allow for being able to record the splits as well as being able to see your runners progress. If someone has additional thoughts on a remedy, that would be great.
First off this is not to be a criticism of the videographer, I realize that budget may limit cameras and their fixed vantage point can cause issue also.

Our interest is specifically the middle distance and longer distance races. The tendency appears to focus (literally) on the lead two runners. I understand that yes its a race and we all like to see the times and winners of a race, but the literal focus of much of the video is on the leads and a quick, blurry pan back to a couple running behind.

My daughters 4x800 team placed at the State Track Meet in 2014 literally there is no footage of her on the track.

Possibly for events that the competitors get spread out - it might be nice to see an overall image of the track once the pack spreads out. This would allow for being able to record the splits as well as being able to see your runners progress.

If someone has additional thoughts on a remedy, that would be great.
04/29/2015 12:20:50 AM
Power User
@tedshoemaker This has always been a frustration of mine when watching big meets online or on TV for that matter. The camera only shows the leader(s), even when there is a standout runner that runs off on his or her own. Not to mention when the winner crosses the finish line, the camera usually follows them around instead of showing the rest of the runners finishing. I always try to show more than just the leaders or winner in my videos. The only way you will ever get the video that you want will be to record it yourself.
@tedshoemaker

This has always been a frustration of mine when watching big meets online or on TV for that matter. The camera only shows the leader(s), even when there is a standout runner that runs off on his or her own. Not to mention when the winner crosses the finish line, the camera usually follows them around instead of showing the rest of the runners finishing.

I always try to show more than just the leaders or winner in my videos. The only way you will ever get the video that you want will be to record it yourself.
04/30/2015 7:08:24 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@tedshoemaker Totally understand what you are saying. On Friday night at Eastern Relays when I was doing the filming, I tried to pan over the whole race at least once per lap in the distance races to let everyone see what was going on for the whole race. It is a tough line to walk along too much of the front or too little.
@tedshoemaker

Totally understand what you are saying. On Friday night at Eastern Relays when I was doing the filming, I tried to pan over the whole race at least once per lap in the distance races to let everyone see what was going on for the whole race.

It is a tough line to walk along too much of the front or too little.
04/30/2015 11:50:46 AM
User
@tedshoemaker A lot of it comes down to equipment and logistics. On Saturday at Eastern Relays, the set-up made is easier to get a better picture of the whole field, but most of the time it is just one person on the ground with an iPad/smart phone/hand-held camera and it's tough to get the full field after the first lap or two in a distance event. For example, if I posted a 12 minute video of the girls 4x8 there would probably be people complaining about how much downtime I have and no one wants to watch a 12 minute video. Same thing goes when we show the top 2 for the majority of the time as opposed to splitting up coverage between the runners. I would imagine someone might chime up "Hey, my son won the 3200 and you showed him for 2 minutes while the kid in 6th got 2.5 minutes of air time, what gives??" I'm honestly not criticizing your or your post, and I do understand where you're coming from, I'm just trying to give you a perspective of what we have to think about when we do race coverage on here. While it may seem unfair to show the top athletes so much, I like to think of it as a way to encourage athletes to get better to get their "15 minutes of fame" on milesplit. I genuinely hope that as a result of the work I do, athletes are motivated to work hard, get better, and get their race coverage and interview with KYTrackXC.
@tedshoemaker A lot of it comes down to equipment and logistics. On Saturday at Eastern Relays, the set-up made is easier to get a better picture of the whole field, but most of the time it is just one person on the ground with an iPad/smart phone/hand-held camera and it's tough to get the full field after the first lap or two in a distance event. For example, if I posted a 12 minute video of the girls 4x8 there would probably be people complaining about how much downtime I have and no one wants to watch a 12 minute video. Same thing goes when we show the top 2 for the majority of the time as opposed to splitting up coverage between the runners. I would imagine someone might chime up "Hey, my son won the 3200 and you showed him for 2 minutes while the kid in 6th got 2.5 minutes of air time, what gives??" I'm honestly not criticizing your or your post, and I do understand where you're coming from, I'm just trying to give you a perspective of what we have to think about when we do race coverage on here. While it may seem unfair to show the top athletes so much, I like to think of it as a way to encourage athletes to get better to get their "15 minutes of fame" on milesplit. I genuinely hope that as a result of the work I do, athletes are motivated to work hard, get better, and get their race coverage and interview with KYTrackXC.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.