Meet of Champions Video Comments
10/26/2014 7:43:32 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'm not sure who the two guys were commentating on the MS 4k race video about Muhlenberg Co building some super combo team but they clearly don't have their facts straight. For one, I only have five boys and if they would have ran together as a team yesterday we would have finished 13th at best. Number two, as I read section 3 where it stated that students may run up with the team of the school that their current school directly feeds into in which I assumed that was the category that our school fell under. When our two schools combined several years ago and became Muhlenberg Co as it is now our parents have the choice to choose any middle school or elem school they want to attend. Yes we have two middle schools North and South that are 3 miles apart only because we don't have a building big enough to put them in. Also, all of our middle school team sports are combined such as football, baseball, XC, and soccer. When I was hired as the assistant coach five years ago I was told my job duties would consist of coaching our middle school cross country program and they would run as one. Also I would be in charge of all our elem kids and that everyone would run as Muhl. Co. since there is no district lines drawn and everyone will feed into Muhl Co HS. We do not have the funds to have a coach at each middle school or elem school like some of our neighboring counties. I totally understand what the KTCCCA is trying to accomplish by monitoring this situation however not everyone has the luxury of choosing between 40 kids and every school in each county has different regulations. So I will close by saying I don't appreciate being accused of building this so called super elite team for that is totally absurd! Further more, I have been an ambassador for this sport spending my own time and my own money trying to make these kids better runners and better people! So give me a little credit, I think if I was going to build a 'super team' they would have placed better than 13th.
I'm not sure who the two guys were commentating on the MS 4k race video about Muhlenberg Co building some super combo team but they clearly don't have their facts straight. For one, I only have five boys and if they would have ran together as a team yesterday we would have finished 13th at best. Number two, as I read section 3 where it stated that students may run up with the team of the school that their current school directly feeds into in which I assumed that was the category that our school fell under. When our two schools combined several years ago and became Muhlenberg Co as it is now our parents have the choice to choose any middle school or elem school they want to attend. Yes we have two middle schools North and South that are 3 miles apart only because we don't have a building big enough to put them in. Also, all of our middle school team sports are combined such as football, baseball, XC, and soccer. When I was hired as the assistant coach five years ago I was told my job duties would consist of coaching our middle school cross country program and they would run as one. Also I would be in charge of all our elem kids and that everyone would run as Muhl. Co. since there is no district lines drawn and everyone will feed into Muhl Co HS. We do not have the funds to have a coach at each middle school or elem school like some of our neighboring counties. I totally understand what the KTCCCA is trying to accomplish by monitoring this situation however not everyone has the luxury of choosing between 40 kids and every school in each county has different regulations. So I will close by saying I don't appreciate being accused of building this so called super elite team for that is totally absurd! Further more, I have been an ambassador for this sport spending my own time and my own money trying to make these kids better runners and better people! So give me a little credit, I think if I was going to build a 'super team' they would have placed better than 13th.
10/26/2014 7:59:48 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
coach, I am sorry if you were offended at the comments on the video. I believe if you listen to the comments it should say that Mulenberg is not a super combo team because that is no longer permissable under the rules. Nothing in the comments was intended to offend or to accuse anyone of breaking the rules. It was merely to point out that your team is not a combo team. I hope that you otherwise enjoyed the video. Yesterday was a great meet and you should be proud of your teams accomplishments.
coach, I am sorry if you were offended at the comments on the video. I believe if you listen to the comments it should say that Mulenberg is not a super combo team because that is no longer permissable under the rules. Nothing in the comments was intended to offend or to accuse anyone of breaking the rules. It was merely to point out that your team is not a combo team. I hope that you otherwise enjoyed the video. Yesterday was a great meet and you should be proud of your teams accomplishments.
10/26/2014 9:36:39 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
In the case of Muhlenberg Co, speaking for MS only, their "super combo" team (of 5) was split up into one team of 2 and another team of 3. The guys have ran together as 1 team all year and nothing had been said, so I am sure the coach was caught off guard and a little frustrated, when the day before the meet he was informed the team would be split. Nothing had been said until the MS ranking came out and Muhlenberg Co. was ranked 2nd, so I guess this caused a problem and folks began to complain.
In the case of Muhlenberg Co, speaking for MS only, their "super combo" team (of 5) was split up into one team of 2 and another team of 3. The guys have ran together as 1 team all year and nothing had been said, so I am sure the coach was caught off guard and a little frustrated, when the day before the meet he was informed the team would be split. Nothing had been said until the MS ranking came out and Muhlenberg Co. was ranked 2nd, so I guess this caused a problem and folks began to complain.
10/26/2014 9:45:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Your right I was very proud of my kids individual performances for I was not permitted to have a team.
Your right I was very proud of my kids individual performances for I was not permitted to have a team.
10/27/2014 7:38:06 AM
User
I understand the frustration for MC North & South because all year long I have witnessed James Madison Middle & Madisonville Middle run as two different teams yet have some of the same runners on both teams? Why would a coach enter a team under two different names? There is no Madisonville Middle School. Yet if you look at the "state" rankings you see James Madison at 15 then Madisonville Middle at 24. 5 kids with the same name on each list.
I understand the frustration for MC North & South because all year long I have witnessed James Madison Middle & Madisonville Middle run as two different teams yet have some of the same runners on both teams? Why would a coach enter a team under two different names? There is no Madisonville Middle School. Yet if you look at the "state" rankings you see James Madison at 15 then Madisonville Middle at 24. 5 kids with the same name on each list.
10/27/2014 2:08:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Pleachman In response to your comments here and other post. I’ve had enough! I apologize in advance to others who read this. I’d like to see you come here and coach, or for that fact to any other small town program and put up with all the garbage we have to endure, such as, lack of money, lack of understanding and support from our Board. I do nothing for 365 days a year but beg and plead for kids to come run for us. These comments about SUPER Combo teams are just crazy, when we and other schools have only 5 runners. That’s a real deep SUPER team. Cross Country is an unspoken word in this county and likewise in other rural schools. So getting enough kids to field a team is a job in its own. I had 3 first yr runners on a team of 5. Super -team indeed. Like the other coach said, I understand what MOC is trying to achieve with its rule, but it has put a real burden on smaller programs like ours by taking the fun away from the kids when having to separate these small schools from a team score. I was blessed this year with two great teams but only one 5th grader. So next yr I have to start all over. I work in many cases 50+ hrs a week at a real job, spend my own money, for gas, shoes and food, for some of these kids helping them do things they never dreamed possible, all in my FREE time. Good people like these coaches in Western KY, and other parts of the State are here for the kids, and try to help build better characters. My program has never been about the coach or parents or even winning. It is about these awesome kids that are WAY-overachieving, then trying to get enough for a team to make it FUN for them. Since your ego has been bruised and needs an explanation. I’ll explain it this way, I’ve cleared everything I do with the KHSAA, KTCCCA, my AD, the Board, Jonathan, and even your son’s Coach. I owe you as a parent NO explanation for anything I do. So stop trying to trash my name, my program and pulling other programs down such as your own kid’s team, by bringing this garbage into Cross Country. Nobody wants it, or deserves it, especially my kids or your kid. We deal with enough. THE END.!
@Pleachman In response to your comments here and other post. I've had enough! I apologize in advance to others who read this.
I'd like to see you come here and coach, or for that fact to any other small town program and put up with all the garbage we have to endure, such as, lack of money, lack of understanding and support from our Board. I do nothing for 365 days a year but beg and plead for kids to come run for us. These comments about SUPER Combo teams are just crazy, when we and other schools have only 5 runners. That's a real deep SUPER team. Cross Country is an unspoken word in this county and likewise in other rural schools. So getting enough kids to field a team is a job in its own. I had 3 first yr runners on a team of 5. Super -team indeed. Like the other coach said, I understand what MOC is trying to achieve with its rule, but it has put a real burden on smaller programs like ours by taking the fun away from the kids when having to separate these small schools from a team score. I was blessed this year with two great teams but only one 5th grader. So next yr I have to start all over.
I work in many cases 50+ hrs a week at a real job, spend my own money, for gas, shoes and food, for some of these kids helping them do things they never dreamed possible, all in my FREE time. Good people like these coaches in Western KY, and other parts of the State are here for the kids, and try to help build better characters. My program has never been about the coach or parents or even winning. It is about these awesome kids that are WAY-overachieving, then trying to get enough for a team to make it FUN for them. Since your ego has been bruised and needs an explanation. I'll explain it this way, I've cleared everything I do with the KHSAA, KTCCCA, my AD, the Board, Jonathan, and even your son's Coach. I owe you as a parent NO explanation for anything I do. So stop trying to trash my name, my program and pulling other programs down such as your own kid's team, by bringing this garbage into Cross Country. Nobody wants it, or deserves it, especially my kids or your kid. We deal with enough. THE END.!
10/27/2014 3:19:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
To clarify, two great teams meaning, 6th grade and 8th grade, all from the same school.
To clarify, two great teams meaning, 6th grade and 8th grade, all from the same school.
10/27/2014 10:46:51 PM
User
@Tridad. Mine and others interpretation of the rule sees them as not being allowed to compete as a team because of the way their schools are aligned. Nothing in the rule would disallow your runners from competing as individuals yet training as a team. We agree to disagree. We are both looking out what we feel is best for our kids. Best wishes for the future.
@Tridad. Mine and others interpretation of the rule sees them as not being allowed to compete as a team because of the way their schools are aligned. Nothing in the rule would disallow your runners from competing as individuals yet training as a team. We agree to disagree. We are both looking out what we feel is best for our kids. Best wishes for the future.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.