2013 cross country
07/22/2013 6:39:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Now that the alignment has been released and we are in full swing, maybe someone wants to get the discussion started and spark some xc interest.... @LP10 did a great job last year.... interested in doing it again???
Now that the alignment has been released and we are in full swing, maybe someone wants to get the discussion started and spark some xc interest.... @LP10 did a great job last year.... interested in doing it again???
08/13/2013 4:42:11 PM
User
Ok, it's about time we started having some on these conversations. There are some very intriguing situations across the state specifically with regards to the individual races this year. Here's some stats to ponder: 4 state champions are returning (Karas, Smith, Davis, Geary), but only Karas has the feel of being a heavy favorite this year All three state champions from the girls side return Realignment has not changed the early favorites in any of the divisions on the girls' side as St. Henry, Highlands, and Assumption will all try to defend their titles. Class A seems to be the most intriguing with Green County, Bishop Brossart and Holy Cross (Louisville) hoping to end the run. North Oldham's ladies lost several seniors and may have slipped to 3rd in the early season rankings with Scott moving into AA. Bowling Green and Sacred Heart are the two teams looking most dangerous in AAA behind Assumption and could be just as strong in the early going. St. Henry and Bishop Brossart's boys are the best on paper from last year, but Walton Verona has steadily improved and even Green County may make things interesting this year. Highlands' boys had a tremendous track season and while North Oldham may be the favorite to many in AA, Highlands and Covington Catholic will likely make things very interesting for them. Trinity and St. Xavier look like they have a gap on everyone in AAA right now, but Daviess quietly had an impressive year and brought some freshmen along the past several months. Those three powers duking it out with Lafayette lurking and Cooper and Pulaski hanging around is what I expect.
Ok, it's about time we started having some on these conversations. There are some very intriguing situations across the state specifically with regards to the individual races this year. Here's some stats to ponder:

4 state champions are returning (Karas, Smith, Davis, Geary), but only Karas has the feel of being a heavy favorite this year

All three state champions from the girls side return

Realignment has not changed the early favorites in any of the divisions on the girls' side as St. Henry, Highlands, and Assumption will all try to defend their titles. Class A seems to be the most intriguing with Green County, Bishop Brossart and Holy Cross (Louisville) hoping to end the run. North Oldham's ladies lost several seniors and may have slipped to 3rd in the early season rankings with Scott moving into AA. Bowling Green and Sacred Heart are the two teams looking most dangerous in AAA behind Assumption and could be just as strong in the early going.

St. Henry and Bishop Brossart's boys are the best on paper from last year, but Walton Verona has steadily improved and even Green County may make things interesting this year. Highlands' boys had a tremendous track season and while North Oldham may be the favorite to many in AA, Highlands and Covington Catholic will likely make things very interesting for them. Trinity and St. Xavier look like they have a gap on everyone in AAA right now, but Daviess quietly had an impressive year and brought some freshmen along the past several months. Those three powers duking it out with Lafayette lurking and Cooper and Pulaski hanging around is what I expect.
08/13/2013 11:57:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Some things to consider: (working on a tablet, excuse errors) Is karas running for Collins? Can bg and sacred heart close on assumption? Is fryman healthy? Any newcomers who will make an impact? Can St. Henry continue their win streak? Trinity seems like the only race where classes collide. Who is going?
Some things to consider: (working on a tablet, excuse errors)

Is karas running for Collins?

Can bg and sacred heart close on assumption?

Is fryman healthy?

Any newcomers who will make an impact?

Can St. Henry continue their win streak?

Trinity seems like the only race where classes collide. Who is going?
08/14/2013 10:24:29 AM
Coach
Q: Is karas running for Collins? A: Nope, she's heading for Oregon to train with Alberto's group. Q: Can bg and sacred heart close on assumption? A: BG and SHA will be extremely good this year. Close isn't the right word, contend with and beat is closer to the truth. Q: Is fryman healthy? A: Not sure, but if he's been running, then I'd start praying. Fervently. ;-) Q: Any newcomers who will make an impact? A: St Henry spits out new talented kids faster than a room full of middle schoolers lets go with spit wads when there's a substitute teacher, so that's where we probably want to look first. I think each year you just reserve spots on the 1A rankings for the newest St Henry girl, don't even bother including a name, and just write in New St Henry girl #1, New St Henry girl #2, etc. Although not new, I do hope to see Maddox Patterson tearing it up again this season! Q: Can St. Henry continue their win streak? A: I think this question misses the point of what St Henry is all about. Having spoken with Coach Harden, I get the impression that they aren't all about winning and streaks as they are about producing high quality individuals who also happen to run very fast. Whatever they're doing, this is one of the most impressive programs in the State, if not the most impressive. Some programs seemingly need to win, almost as part of some process of validation, while others win more as a symptom of having done so many things the right way and focusing on what really makes a team great. My sense is that St Henry is the latter, so whether they continue their win streak or not is almost not even the right question. Q: Trinity seems like the only race where classes collide. Who is going? A: It's an ACT day, so we may not know until late in the game. Chad puts a lot of work into putting on what I think is one of the best meets in the country, so hopefully any missing ACT kids will be replaced by high quality out-of-state or younger in-state kids. On the girls side, I know some programs will be opting for other meets this year, so this could be a big wait and see.
Q: Is karas running for Collins?
A: Nope, she's heading for Oregon to train with Alberto's group.

Q: Can bg and sacred heart close on assumption?
A: BG and SHA will be extremely good this year. Close isn't the right word, contend with and beat is closer to the truth.

Q: Is fryman healthy?
A: Not sure, but if he's been running, then I'd start praying. Fervently.

Q: Any newcomers who will make an impact?
A: St Henry spits out new talented kids faster than a room full of middle schoolers lets go with spit wads when there's a substitute teacher, so that's where we probably want to look first. I think each year you just reserve spots on the 1A rankings for the newest St Henry girl, don't even bother including a name, and just write in New St Henry girl #1, New St Henry girl #2, etc. Although not new, I do hope to see Maddox Patterson tearing it up again this season!

Q: Can St. Henry continue their win streak?
A: I think this question misses the point of what St Henry is all about. Having spoken with Coach Harden, I get the impression that they aren't all about winning and streaks as they are about producing high quality individuals who also happen to run very fast. Whatever they're doing, this is one of the most impressive programs in the State, if not the most impressive. Some programs seemingly need to win, almost as part of some process of validation, while others win more as a symptom of having done so many things the right way and focusing on what really makes a team great. My sense is that St Henry is the latter, so whether they continue their win streak or not is almost not even the right question.

Q: Trinity seems like the only race where classes collide. Who is going?
A: It's an ACT day, so we may not know until late in the game. Chad puts a lot of work into putting on what I think is one of the best meets in the country, so hopefully any missing ACT kids will be replaced by high quality out-of-state or younger in-state kids. On the girls side, I know some programs will be opting for other meets this year, so this could be a big wait and see.
08/14/2013 3:48:32 PM
User
Who's Fryman?
Who's Fryman?
08/14/2013 4:50:35 PM
Coach
@kyrunner07 I know everybody probably assumes Avery Fryman, but it's Trenton Fryman. He's also known as "Dash", and was the inspiration for the cartoon character of that name in the Incredibles.
@kyrunner07
I know everybody probably assumes Avery Fryman, but it's Trenton Fryman. He's also known as "Dash", and was the inspiration for the cartoon character of that name in the Incredibles.
08/14/2013 9:36:53 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@professor I thought it was Andy Fryman since he is healthyS-)
@professor
I thought it was Andy Fryman since he is healthy
08/14/2013 11:39:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@professor Seriously, Karas is going to Oregon?
@professor

Seriously, Karas is going to Oregon?
08/15/2013 12:49:59 AM
User
Okay...but really, who is Fryman?
Okay...but really, who is Fryman?
08/15/2013 1:30:41 AM
Power User
@kyrunner07 Prof gave you his name and I will give you his profile link.... http://ky.milesplit.com/athletes/2630617-trenton-fryman#.UgxmuW2uc20
@kyrunner07

Prof gave you his name and I will give you his profile link....

http://ky.milesplit.com/athletes/2630617-trenton-fryman#.UgxmuW2uc20
08/15/2013 8:12:27 AM
User
@jscott, gotcha. I usually just kind of skim over Prof's answers as they're mostly sarcastic answers/stories. :) I thought the way everyone was asking about him he must be a good out of state kid moving in, track kid running cross for the first time, etc.
@jscott, gotcha. I usually just kind of skim over Prof's answers as they're mostly sarcastic answers/stories. :) I thought the way everyone was asking about him he must be a good out of state kid moving in, track kid running cross for the first time, etc.
08/15/2013 8:53:52 AM
Coach
@kyrunner07 You're a wise person to do that. :-)
@kyrunner07
You're a wise person to do that.
08/15/2013 10:59:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@professor recruiting kids in hopes that they will enjoy the sport/ kids who want to run and live a healthy Lifestyle, and winning go hand in hand... Therefore, teams who do that and have knowledgeable coaches are bound to be successful. Therefore, win streaks are obvious conversation on message boards. It's a testament to a solid program.. Which coach brooks and harden deserve.
@professor

recruiting kids in hopes that they will enjoy the sport/ kids who want to run and live a healthy Lifestyle, and winning go hand in hand... Therefore, teams who do that and have knowledgeable coaches are bound to be successful. Therefore, win streaks are obvious conversation on message boards. It's a testament to a solid program.. Which coach brooks and harden deserve.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.