Rankings & Club Teams?
10/12/2017 4:45:50 PM
User
As I look over the rankings I noticed 'club' teams listed. Maybe I'm the only one around the sport that will say this publicly but I think running for a club during the regular season is a terrible lesson for these kids. And the parents and coaches allowing or promoting this are the ones fostering this corrupted message. At this level the sport is still about the kids and the lessons they learn...not a win at all cost environment. This sport is still a team sport the last I checked. And team includes supporting and leading even when you aren't winning or surrounded by the best athletes. Sure, go practice and train with whoever, but come Saturday you wear your school colors. Why any school would allow an athlete to flip back and forth as it is convenient is beyond me! ADs, administrators, principals, coaches; stand your ground on this. I'm willing to bet most of the people around the sport would support your decision.
As I look over the rankings I noticed 'club' teams listed. Maybe I'm the only one around the sport that will say this publicly but I think running for a club during the regular season is a terrible lesson for these kids. And the parents and coaches allowing or promoting this are the ones fostering this corrupted message. At this level the sport is still about the kids and the lessons they learn...not a win at all cost environment. This sport is still a team sport the last I checked. And team includes supporting and leading even when you aren't winning or surrounded by the best athletes. Sure, go practice and train with whoever, but come Saturday you wear your school colors.

Why any school would allow an athlete to flip back and forth as it is convenient is beyond me! ADs, administrators, principals, coaches; stand your ground on this. I'm willing to bet most of the people around the sport would support your decision.
10/13/2017 12:29:57 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kjhig I figure a couple of the club teams exist though because the schools don't have a team. I'm not sure on that, but it's a possible reason for it I would think. Not saying you are wrong, but it seems you are assuming a lot with your statement.
@kjhig I figure a couple of the club teams exist though because the schools don't have a team. I'm not sure on that, but it's a possible reason for it I would think. Not saying you are wrong, but it seems you are assuming a lot with your statement.
10/15/2017 1:48:08 PM
User
@Toggle Cory, I know some schools don't have teams, I'm not assuming. I also know in some of these cases a child races as an individual due to the school not having a team. That child still has peers to train with and friends in the sport. But again they race as an individual. Can you point out any race that doesn't allow an individual to register? In any case that example is the exception not the rule. Most children on these clubs teams have school teams they can and should be running for. Try telling a high school soccer/basketball/etc. coach that you're playing club ball and will be back to.play for them come tournament time. Good luck! These are parents and coaches corrupting the sport. You don't have to agree but I'm wagering most coaches, fans, and runners agree with my statements here.
@Toggle Cory, I know some schools don't have teams, I'm not assuming. I also know in some of these cases a child races as an individual due to the school not having a team. That child still has peers to train with and friends in the sport. But again they race as an individual. Can you point out any race that doesn't allow an individual to register?

In any case that example is the exception not the rule. Most children on these clubs teams have school teams they can and should be running for. Try telling a high school soccer/basketball/etc. coach that you're playing club ball and will be back to.play for them come tournament time. Good luck!

These are parents and coaches corrupting the sport. You don't have to agree but I'm wagering most coaches, fans, and runners agree with my statements here.
10/18/2017 10:41:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@kjhig I understand where you are coming from and I also don't like the cases I see where the kids are running like 15-20 meets a season by running meets for both a club and their school because parents are pushing them into racing 2-3 times a week, or those that flip back and forth at the drop of a hat. But, blanket statements are too broad and create problems. For instance, a couple years ago I ran into a local coach who's team never seemed to run at the bigger meets, just a couple little meets. I asked him about attending our invite and his response was stunning: "I don't work weekends." So, those poor kids ran for a club because otherwise their entire season consisted of maybe 8 weeks of occasional practices, when the coach felt like it, and 2-3 little mid-week meets. The kids deserved better and got better with a club. Home school kids are another group that benefit from clubs. Clubs can be good and clubs can be bad, it all depends on the situation.
@kjhig

I understand where you are coming from and I also don't like the cases I see where the kids are running like 15-20 meets a season by running meets for both a club and their school because parents are pushing them into racing 2-3 times a week, or those that flip back and forth at the drop of a hat.

But, blanket statements are too broad and create problems. For instance, a couple years ago I ran into a local coach who's team never seemed to run at the bigger meets, just a couple little meets. I asked him about attending our invite and his response was stunning: "I don't work weekends." So, those poor kids ran for a club because otherwise their entire season consisted of maybe 8 weeks of occasional practices, when the coach felt like it, and 2-3 little mid-week meets. The kids deserved better and got better with a club.

Home school kids are another group that benefit from clubs.

Clubs can be good and clubs can be bad, it all depends on the situation.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.