State Meet in Lexington?
02/13/2014 3:10:29 PM
User
Just had a source let me know that is was shared in JCPS AD Meeting that state track is moving to Lexington this year. Can we get confirmation on this from anyone?
Just had a source let me know that is was shared in JCPS AD Meeting that state track is moving to Lexington this year. Can we get confirmation on this from anyone?
02/13/2014 3:18:01 PM
User
CONFIRMED BY THE ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER HERSELF! http://ky.milesplit.com/articles/121115
CONFIRMED BY THE ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER HERSELF!

http://ky.milesplit.com/articles/121115
02/13/2014 4:39:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'm not sure what everyone else thinks but this is good news for me!
I'm not sure what everyone else thinks but this is good news for me!
02/13/2014 6:27:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@1bassman Jenkins is a lot closer to Lexington.
@1bassman
Jenkins is a lot closer to Lexington.
02/13/2014 8:13:51 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Yes it is closer!
Yes it is closer!
02/14/2014 7:05:06 AM
Coach
Although I'd prefer UofL for obvious reasons, I really don't care where they hold the State Track Meet as long as the date doesn't conflict with our graduation. I'm not surprised by the move though, I think it's fairly clear that the KHSAA prefers the meet somewhere in Lexington. I also think the KHSAA will lose money in the process. Maybe all the Louisville-area people who'd pay $10 to see a great HS track meet in their own backyard will drive the hour plus to Lexington and pay the $10 there, but I doubt it. Lexington just doesn't have anywhere near the population or population density of Louisville, and in a sport where you have a large representation of Louisville-area teams, you may not lose the parents who come to watch their kids, but I think they'll lose a lot of other folks who aren't willing to make the drive. Why should this matter? If the KHSAA doesn't make as much money off the State Meet, then they've got to respond by either looking at increasing revenue (e.g. higher ticket prices) or cutting costs somewhere else. We'll see, and hopefully I'll be wrong.
Although I'd prefer UofL for obvious reasons, I really don't care where they hold the State Track Meet as long as the date doesn't conflict with our graduation. I'm not surprised by the move though, I think it's fairly clear that the KHSAA prefers the meet somewhere in Lexington.

I also think the KHSAA will lose money in the process. Maybe all the Louisville-area people who'd pay $10 to see a great HS track meet in their own backyard will drive the hour plus to Lexington and pay the $10 there, but I doubt it. Lexington just doesn't have anywhere near the population or population density of Louisville, and in a sport where you have a large representation of Louisville-area teams, you may not lose the parents who come to watch their kids, but I think they'll lose a lot of other folks who aren't willing to make the drive. Why should this matter? If the KHSAA doesn't make as much money off the State Meet, then they've got to respond by either looking at increasing revenue (e.g. higher ticket prices) or cutting costs somewhere else. We'll see, and hopefully I'll be wrong.
02/14/2014 9:39:33 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@professor I think that there are pros and cons to both facilities and cities. After the discussion at the coaches clinic and the fact that UK's coaches and admin basically blew off the request to host Mason Dixon in Nutter I assumed that UofL was the favorite. This will be my first time at the new facility. Certainly it will be nice for the throwers.
@professor

I think that there are pros and cons to both facilities and cities.

After the discussion at the coaches clinic and the fact that UK's coaches and admin basically blew off the request to host Mason Dixon in Nutter I assumed that UofL was the favorite. This will be my first time at the new facility.

Certainly it will be nice for the throwers.
02/14/2014 11:53:56 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
You know what I grew to like a lot about UofL's facility was that you could spectate from just about anywhere all the way around the track, and you had the crowd right up on the track in both turns. I think that's a great atmosphere. Walking around the track during the state meet, it almost seemed like a park or festival atmosphere. Spectators could sit in the stands or they could go sit on the grass and watch the meet. I haven't been to the UK facility, but I don't see the same sort of access for spectators in the aerial pictures I can find. I also don't see where team tents will go. Is that what the open space over by the warm-up straightaway is for? Do they throw the disc in the infield? The old configuration at UK was great for team areas, so hopefully the preserved that in some way. I used to love the state meet at UK, but that probably has something to do with attending it there for the first 15 or so years that I coached.
You know what I grew to like a lot about UofL's facility was that you could spectate from just about anywhere all the way around the track, and you had the crowd right up on the track in both turns. I think that's a great atmosphere. Walking around the track during the state meet, it almost seemed like a park or festival atmosphere. Spectators could sit in the stands or they could go sit on the grass and watch the meet. I haven't been to the UK facility, but I don't see the same sort of access for spectators in the aerial pictures I can find.

I also don't see where team tents will go. Is that what the open space over by the warm-up straightaway is for? Do they throw the disc in the infield? The old configuration at UK was great for team areas, so hopefully the preserved that in some way. I used to love the state meet at UK, but that probably has something to do with attending it there for the first 15 or so years that I coached.
02/14/2014 2:47:53 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
When we went to an invitational meet there last year they threw college disk in the infield and high school disc on the outer rings. Shot was in the infield, all jumps and vaults were in the infield. Multiple pits for everything including jump pits in both directions for wind. Unfortunately the google maps picture is a couple years old so you can't see the finished product but it does show the design under construction. Look up UK and then find the track and zoom in. The stands are the entire south side of the track, the broadcast booth is the elevated building on the south east corner of the track at the finish line (great view). There is a nice hill to sit on all around the east side corner of the track. Tent city was in the field to the north of the track, all in the same fenced in area as the track. The building to the northwest side of the track is running event check in. You can see the sprint / hurdle warm up track layout being worked on which north of the track which is between tent city and the track. There is access all the way around the track for spectators, including right up to the warm up track. I'm not sure if the KHSAA will allow all this to be open to the public because there was no big physical barrier between the track and the seating in the back. There may be something there for the state meet. Under the seating area in the back was the concession stand and the bathrooms. They also put a row of portables all the way against the tree line behind tent city. The biggest draw back? No McDonalds between the warm up area and the track :) While I know you guys from Louisville will not like the drive, I'm pretty confident you will like the facilities.
When we went to an invitational meet there last year they threw college disk in the infield and high school disc on the outer rings. Shot was in the infield, all jumps and vaults were in the infield. Multiple pits for everything including jump pits in both directions for wind. Unfortunately the google maps picture is a couple years old so you can't see the finished product but it does show the design under construction. Look up UK and then find the track and zoom in. The stands are the entire south side of the track, the broadcast booth is the elevated building on the south east corner of the track at the finish line (great view). There is a nice hill to sit on all around the east side corner of the track. Tent city was in the field to the north of the track, all in the same fenced in area as the track. The building to the northwest side of the track is running event check in. You can see the sprint / hurdle warm up track layout being worked on which north of the track which is between tent city and the track.

There is access all the way around the track for spectators, including right up to the warm up track. I'm not sure if the KHSAA will allow all this to be open to the public because there was no big physical barrier between the track and the seating in the back. There may be something there for the state meet. Under the seating area in the back was the concession stand and the bathrooms. They also put a row of portables all the way against the tree line behind tent city. The biggest draw back? No McDonalds between the warm up area and the track :)

While I know you guys from Louisville will not like the drive, I'm pretty confident you will like the facilities.
02/15/2014 10:00:06 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The drive won't bother me at all. I have nothing against going to UK, just curious about the logistics there.
The drive won't bother me at all. I have nothing against going to UK, just curious about the logistics there.
02/15/2014 11:10:26 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
A few pictures I could find... http://abelconstruct.com/portfolio/university-of-kentucky-shively-track-and-field-facility/
A few pictures I could find...

http://abelconstruct.com/portfolio/university-of-kentucky-shively-track-and-field-facility/
02/15/2014 12:16:33 PM
Coach
I'm with BC. I mean our team competes in at least 4-5 states other than KY over the course of a year, I'd be a bit disingenuous if I argue that an hour drive is going to kill us. Hopefully, the KHSAA will allow people to gather all around the track, just like at UofL.
I'm with BC. I mean our team competes in at least 4-5 states other than KY over the course of a year, I'd be a bit disingenuous if I argue that an hour drive is going to kill us. Hopefully, the KHSAA will allow people to gather all around the track, just like at UofL.
02/18/2014 7:24:57 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
One big advantage at UK will be the fact that the throwing events will be held in the same location as the other events. Coaches, competitors, and parents won't have to shuffle back and forth between different locations and it will give the spectators an opportunity to watch the throwing events along with all the other events as well as giving the throwers the opportunity to compete in front of the entire crowd.
One big advantage at UK will be the fact that the throwing events will be held in the same location as the other events. Coaches, competitors, and parents won't have to shuffle back and forth between different locations and it will give the spectators an opportunity to watch the throwing events along with all the other events as well as giving the throwers the opportunity to compete in front of the entire crowd.
02/19/2014 10:46:35 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Chris Jelks visited the track and here are some pics from the facility http://ky.milesplit.com/photos/albums/19614
Chris Jelks visited the track and here are some pics from the facility

http://ky.milesplit.com/photos/albums/19614
02/20/2014 6:59:23 AM
Coach
@jonathan Looks like a good place for a swim meet. Is there any way to get rid of that blue? :-)
@jonathan
Looks like a good place for a swim meet. Is there any way to get rid of that blue?
02/22/2014 11:39:52 PM
Coach
Will the Middle School State Track Meet also be in Lexington this year?
Will the Middle School State Track Meet also be in Lexington this year?
02/23/2014 12:06:24 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachHolger Nope, still at Louisville
@CoachHolger

Nope, still at Louisville
02/24/2014 1:36:44 AM
Power User
@jonathan We got to see the facility last fall and it is really impressive. I like the straight away leading to the water jump and coming off of the jump. Even my 9 year old son couldn't resist running a lap before we moved on to the next facility.
@jonathan

We got to see the facility last fall and it is really impressive. I like the straight away leading to the water jump and coming off of the jump. Even my 9 year old son couldn't resist running a lap before we moved on to the next facility.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.