What if MOC were AFTER the HS state meet?
11/14/2013 1:28:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
An idea was brought up in a discussion the KTCCCA board was having earlier in the season about MOC. Someone had suggested to their area rep that the MOC be held the week after the HS state meet similar to how the MS State Meet is one week after the HS state meet in the spring. I thought it was an idea worth exploring, especially since the current MOC date falls over fall break for us in Oldham County. I know there is a large MS contingent that reads these boards, and I wanted to see what feelings were out there. What would happen if the MOC were this coming Saturday? How would that affect attendance, etc.?
An idea was brought up in a discussion the KTCCCA board was having earlier in the season about MOC. Someone had suggested to their area rep that the MOC be held the week after the HS state meet similar to how the MS State Meet is one week after the HS state meet in the spring. I thought it was an idea worth exploring, especially since the current MOC date falls over fall break for us in Oldham County. I know there is a large MS contingent that reads these boards, and I wanted to see what feelings were out there. What would happen if the MOC were this coming Saturday? How would that affect attendance, etc.?
11/14/2013 3:35:05 PM
Coach
@BCrumbo I would be hearing the same thing I hear in the spring: "Why on earth is the middle school state meet after the high school state meet?" The season is long enough for the middle schoolers and I wish the track middle school state meet was also one week prior to the high school region meets.
@BCrumbo
I would be hearing the same thing I hear in the spring: "Why on earth is the middle school state meet after the high school state meet?" The season is long enough for the middle schoolers and I wish the track middle school state meet was also one week prior to the high school region meets.
11/14/2013 4:55:02 PM
User
Brrr! Its tooo cold to run :`-(
Brrr! Its tooo cold to run
11/15/2013 9:37:34 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=georgevanmeter]"Why on earth is the middle school state meet after the high school state meet?"[/quote] @georgevanmeter Well, the reason for this in track is that the high school state meet had been moved up significantly, and since a lot of MS programs don't start until late March, they were essentially only getting a one-month season.
georgevanmeter wrote:
"Why on earth is the middle school state meet after the high school state meet?"

@georgevanmeter

Well, the reason for this in track is that the high school state meet had been moved up significantly, and since a lot of MS programs don't start until late March, they were essentially only getting a one-month season.
11/15/2013 10:12:35 AM
Coach
@BCrumbo Now that we're on the subject...does anyone know if a date has been set for the middle school state track meet? Will it be on 5/31?
@BCrumbo
Now that we're on the subject...does anyone know if a date has been set for the middle school state track meet? Will it be on 5/31?
11/16/2013 1:09:51 AM
Power User
I think the MS and ES season is long enough as it is. I would not want to extend it an additional 3 weeks. Many schools start their MS/ES training during the early summer and see a drop in performance as the season lingers on. I wait till August before I start them so they will still be excited about running. In my experience, younger kids need a shorter season then HS kids, not longer.
I think the MS and ES season is long enough as it is. I would not want to extend it an additional 3 weeks. Many schools start their MS/ES training during the early summer and see a drop in performance as the season lingers on. I wait till August before I start them so they will still be excited about running. In my experience, younger kids need a shorter season then HS kids, not longer.
11/16/2013 3:18:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
There are several things being discussed as possible changes to improve the MOC for CC. Many coaches would like to see area qualifying meets for the Middle School and Elementary State Championship races. Trying to get the championship races down to a more manageable 200-250 runners. Everyone can still participate but in various levels of races, much like is done at the top meets in the country. To compete in the championship races would require qualifying. In very large meets there are often championship, gold, silver or blue races. Timing of area championships becomes an issue due to fall break schedules for many schools in mid October. If the current MOC week was used for area championships, that would push the MOC to after the HS state championships.
There are several things being discussed as possible changes to improve the MOC for CC.

Many coaches would like to see area qualifying meets for the Middle School and Elementary State Championship races. Trying to get the championship races down to a more manageable 200-250 runners. Everyone can still participate but in various levels of races, much like is done at the top meets in the country. To compete in the championship races would require qualifying. In very large meets there are often championship, gold, silver or blue races. Timing of area championships becomes an issue due to fall break schedules for many schools in mid October. If the current MOC week was used for area championships, that would push the MOC to after the HS state championships.
11/18/2013 7:53:32 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@cbeckerson I may be in a small population here, but as the high school and middle school coach, any extension to or adding of qualifying meets to the middle school season would not be good. To add required meets to an already busy schedule would take away from something, which for us would be middle school. Having the middle school championships after the high school championships would just add to an already long season.
@cbeckerson

I may be in a small population here, but as the high school and middle school coach, any extension to or adding of qualifying meets to the middle school season would not be good. To add required meets to an already busy schedule would take away from something, which for us would be middle school. Having the middle school championships after the high school championships would just add to an already long season.
11/18/2013 1:08:52 PM
Coach
Another problem with qualifying meets is that unless everyone's meet can be a qualifying meet (which makes the whole concept useless), then the distinction of being a qualifying meet will be the equivalent of a Wonka Golden Ticket. What meet would ever be able to compete in any given area against a "qualifying meet"? And whose meet gets this distinction? I understand why people want this, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives with this approach.
Another problem with qualifying meets is that unless everyone's meet can be a qualifying meet (which makes the whole concept useless), then the distinction of being a qualifying meet will be the equivalent of a Wonka Golden Ticket. What meet would ever be able to compete in any given area against a "qualifying meet"? And whose meet gets this distinction? I understand why people want this, but I think the negatives outweigh the positives with this approach.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.