Meet of Champions
10/23/2013 6:10:17 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I was looking back through the elementary (2007) and middle school championships (2009) to see who was around back then and where they are now. Good stuff. Geary won in both 2007 and 2009 and turned into a pretty good HSRunner.:-]. This is the one meet in our sport where all the best runners can get together in one place, at one time and compete head to head. I see some other areas starting their own championships and no offense but I really hope they do not draw the top talent to those meets. One of the great things about The MOC is that teams come from all over the state to run against the best from other parts of the state. They get to meet and run against athletes they may have never seen before at their local invitationals. I don't like 450 athletes on the start line, I don't care for the huge crowds but the atmosphere of the best against the best is unbeatable. Let's start the debate. Who are the favorites to win this year?
I was looking back through the elementary (2007) and middle school championships (2009) to see who was around back then and where they are now. Good stuff. Geary won in both 2007 and 2009 and turned into a pretty good HSRunner.. This is the one meet in our sport where all the best runners can get together in one place, at one time and compete head to head. I see some other areas starting their own championships and no offense but I really hope they do not draw the top talent to those meets. One of the great things about The MOC is that teams come from all over the state to run against the best from other parts of the state. They get to meet and run against athletes they may have never seen before at their local invitationals.

I don't like 450 athletes on the start line, I don't care for the huge crowds but the atmosphere of the best against the best is unbeatable.

Let's start the debate. Who are the favorites to win this year?
10/23/2013 9:05:16 PM
User
@cbeckerson MS girls individual Alena Sapienza-Wright is my top choice, chasers include Hayes, Duff, Clements and Simms MS Boys individual Thornsberry or Barsamian followed by Kurz and Schwartz MS girls teams East Oldham with the next six teams neck and neck behind them-St. Edward, St. Agnes, College View, E.J. Hayes, Daviess and North Oldham MS Boys teams Slight edge to North Oldham but Crosby, CAL, Holy Trinity, Covington Cath and College View will be close. Others possibilities are St. Henry and South Oldham.
@cbeckerson

MS girls individual
Alena Sapienza-Wright is my top choice, chasers include Hayes, Duff, Clements and Simms

MS Boys individual
Thornsberry or Barsamian followed by Kurz and Schwartz

MS girls teams
East Oldham with the next six teams neck and neck behind them-St. Edward, St. Agnes, College View, E.J. Hayes, Daviess and North Oldham

MS Boys teams
Slight edge to North Oldham but Crosby, CAL, Holy Trinity, Covington Cath and College View will be close. Others possibilities are St. Henry and South Oldham.
10/23/2013 9:11:55 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@cbeckerson Is the course considered fast?
@cbeckerson
Is the course considered fast?
10/23/2013 9:34:01 PM
Coach
@cgcampbell Not fast and not slow.... I think!
@cgcampbell

Not fast and not slow.... I think!
10/23/2013 10:41:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It seems to be a very fair course. Not fast, not slow. I can tell you that race strategy plays a part. You can't afford to go out too slow in this race. Much of the race is run 5 people wide, the top runners are usually comfortable and no more than 2-3 wide but by 25th place the field is usually 4-5 people wide for the next 100 spots for at least the first mile. If you get out slow, passing the crowd becomes an obstacle.
It seems to be a very fair course. Not fast, not slow. I can tell you that race strategy plays a part. You can't afford to go out too slow in this race. Much of the race is run 5 people wide, the top runners are usually comfortable and no more than 2-3 wide but by 25th place the field is usually 4-5 people wide for the next 100 spots for at least the first mile. If you get out slow, passing the crowd becomes an obstacle.
10/24/2013 11:43:15 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I think in the 6th and under Girls Championship Race that Nina Walker from Goshen has been the most consistent among her peers this season. However, there are 4 or 5 others that should compete for top honors....Bailey Chitwood from Bullitt East, Anastasia Newsome of T.K. Stone, Rebekah Howard of Glasgow, Abigail Bohn and Sara Wilkinson of St. Edward, Makena Gillion of Elkhorn, and Bradley Jett of Bondurant. Of course, as we all know, there are so many variables involved in cross-country. I'm sure it will be a great atmosphere and the girls referenced above will give it their all.........I'm sure there are others that may be contenders as well that I've overlooked. All I can say is whoever the individual champion is, they earned it !!
I think in the 6th and under Girls Championship Race that Nina Walker from Goshen has been the most consistent among her peers this season. However, there are 4 or 5 others that should compete for top honors....Bailey Chitwood from Bullitt East, Anastasia Newsome of T.K. Stone, Rebekah Howard of Glasgow, Abigail Bohn and Sara Wilkinson of St. Edward, Makena Gillion of Elkhorn, and Bradley Jett of Bondurant.

Of course, as we all know, there are so many variables involved in cross-country. I'm sure it will be a great atmosphere and the girls referenced above will give it their all.........I'm sure there are others that may be contenders as well that I've overlooked. All I can say is whoever the individual champion is, they earned it !!
10/24/2013 11:50:25 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
How could I have forgotten Anna Constant of Centerfield and Abby Jones of St. Joseph of Cold Spring. Both are great runners and competitors.
How could I have forgotten Anna Constant of Centerfield and Abby Jones of St. Joseph of Cold Spring. Both are great runners and competitors.
10/24/2013 1:04:18 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just my 2 cents in the 6th and under Boys. Jonah Mitchell (Muhlenberg) and Wes Grogan (McCracken) will be up front battling it out. Jonah has some great guidance from Chase Geary and Wes from his brother Josh. Not sure who has that kind of stride from the Mid or East part of the State? Jonah has goals of breaking the 3K record and I think Wes can push him to do it. Not exactly sure what the record is.
Just my 2 cents in the 6th and under Boys. Jonah Mitchell (Muhlenberg) and Wes Grogan (McCracken) will be up front battling it out. Jonah has some great guidance from Chase Geary and Wes from his brother Josh. Not sure who has that kind of stride from the Mid or East part of the State? Jonah has goals of breaking the 3K record and I think Wes can push him to do it. Not exactly sure what the record is.
10/24/2013 10:12:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Maybe Jonathan can get those top 3K times out like he did with the 4K times.... Hint, hint:-]
Maybe Jonathan can get those top 3K times out like he did with the 4K times.... Hint, hint
10/24/2013 11:15:27 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@cgcampbell Have to agree with Coach Holger, the course is neither fast nor slow, a very fair course. The 4K has two significant uphills and two downhills, about a mile of very flat areas and the rest is gentle rolls. Except for the first 400 meters (watch out for gopher holes!) the footing is very good. Also, things get crowded in the middle of the pack. I have to instruct my kids to get out faster than I would prefer, I am a big believer in even pacing and that's not possible due to the numbers of runners. Otherwise, a really nice course and a great meet!
@cgcampbell

Have to agree with Coach Holger, the course is neither fast nor slow, a very fair course. The 4K has two significant uphills and two downhills, about a mile of very flat areas and the rest is gentle rolls. Except for the first 400 meters (watch out for gopher holes!) the footing is very good. Also, things get crowded in the middle of the pack. I have to instruct my kids to get out faster than I would prefer, I am a big believer in even pacing and that's not possible due to the numbers of runners. Otherwise, a really nice course and a great meet!
10/25/2013 10:20:06 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Don't forget about Luke Hoover (Crosby) for the boys MS title
Don't forget about Luke Hoover (Crosby) for the boys MS title
10/25/2013 11:24:04 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@bruggles this is my son's first year of cross country. 6th grader. Looking forward to watching him run with the states best!!!!
@bruggles this is my son's first year of cross country. 6th grader. Looking forward to watching him run with the states best!!!!
10/25/2013 11:26:27 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
10/26/2013 8:38:03 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
This is the one meet in our sport where all the best runners can get together in one place, at one time and compete head to head... One of the great things about The MOC is that teams come from all over the state to run against the best from other parts of the state. They get to meet and run against athletes they may have never seen before at their local invitationals. ... the best against the best... @cbeckerson Respectively, I disagree. The 2012 rule change eliminated many of the top middle school teams from competing as teams and there are no unattached runners in the MS Championship race, so many of the top individuals on those top teams will not be on the line at MOC. This year the number 1 & 2 teams from the NKY MS Championship Meet will net be there as teams.(KY Milesplit ranked 4 & 5 currently http://ky.milesplit.com/teamscores/2013/cc/ms/m/3000m)
This is the one meet in our sport where all the best runners can get together in one place, at one time and compete head to head... One of the great things about The MOC is that teams come from all over the state to run against the best from other parts of the state. They get to meet and run against athletes they may have never seen before at their local invitationals.

... the best against the best...

@cbeckerson

Respectively, I disagree. The 2012 rule change eliminated many of the top middle school teams from competing as teams and there are no unattached runners in the MS Championship race, so many of the top individuals on those top teams will not be on the line at MOC. This year the number 1 & 2 teams from the NKY MS Championship Meet will net be there as teams.(KY Milesplit ranked 4 & 5 currently http://ky.milesplit.com/teamscores/2013/cc/ms/m/3000m)
10/26/2013 8:44:41 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Have to say I called it - great race, Luke Hoover! He left no doubt in the last half mile.
Have to say I called it - great race, Luke Hoover! He left no doubt in the last half mile.
10/26/2013 11:14:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It was a great day. The races were awesome. My biggest surprise? NO restarts in the races I saw. 10 races and not a single runner down after the start with 400 plus runners in some races. The boxes were a little wider this year and it made a difference. Amazing job by meet organizers, starters and officials. I did see some fan issues as overenthusiastic parents tried crossing the course. I saw a couple different collisions with fans and runners and I also had to shew parents off the course in other places. It's like once their kid goes by they forget there is anyone else running. Not much meet management can do about that. Still waiting for the team results but with 13 races and some 4,000 entered runners, it will take a while to get all the issues resolved and results finalized. Congrats to the race winners, team winners and everyone else who ran today. I know my runners had a great time and really enjoy that atmosphere. As for a previous post about some good runners not being there... That's fine, play by the rules or don't come. That's life.
It was a great day. The races were awesome. My biggest surprise? NO restarts in the races I saw. 10 races and not a single runner down after the start with 400 plus runners in some races. The boxes were a little wider this year and it made a difference.

Amazing job by meet organizers, starters and officials. I did see some fan issues as overenthusiastic parents tried crossing the course. I saw a couple different collisions with fans and runners and I also had to shew parents off the course in other places. It's like once their kid goes by they forget there is anyone else running. Not much meet management can do about that. Still waiting for the team results but with 13 races and some 4,000 entered runners, it will take a while to get all the issues resolved and results finalized.

Congrats to the race winners, team winners and everyone else who ran today. I know my runners had a great time and really enjoy that atmosphere.

As for a previous post about some good runners not being there... That's fine, play by the rules or don't come. That's life.
10/26/2013 11:18:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Bruggles, that was pretty impressive!
Bruggles, that was pretty impressive!
10/27/2013 2:57:29 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The races seemed to keep moving and seemed to be organized. Although some areas were not roped off as last year and we are still waiting for any results in the boys and girls CHAMPIONSHIP races.
The races seemed to keep moving and seemed to be organized. Although some areas were not roped off as last year and we are still waiting for any results in the boys and girls CHAMPIONSHIP races.
10/27/2013 10:29:41 AM
User
@elliott84 Give Makenzie Cooper a little love from now on. Fastest race in 6th history at this location, top three all under 12 which has only been done now 5 times. Top three now have 2nd, 3rd and 4th fastest times ever this course. Only Karas faster. And photo finish for 2nd. Fun race but gosh so cold.
@elliott84 Give Makenzie Cooper a little love from now on. Fastest race in 6th history at this location, top three all under 12 which has only been done now 5 times. Top three now have 2nd, 3rd and 4th fastest times ever this course. Only Karas faster. And photo finish for 2nd. Fun race but gosh so cold.
10/27/2013 11:51:36 AM
User
[quote=ELC023]@elliott84 Give Makenzie Cooper a little love from now on. Fastest race in 6th history at this location, top three all under 12 which has only been done now 5 times. Top three now have 2nd, 3rd and 4th fastest times ever this course. Only Karas faster. And photo finish for 2nd. Fun race but gosh so cold.[/quote] @ELC023 Haha, congratulations to Makenzie for a great race. Love on here is derived from results during the season, and prior to yesterday, it doesn't look like there was much to go on this CC season. Historically, the current automated times don't tell the whole story. There have actually been nine 6th & Under girls under 12 at MOC going back to 2007, and if you add in results from the Cross Country Coaches Youth National Championships, which has used the same course when run at Masterson, there have been 26. In the 2010 CCCYNC race, there were 13 11-12 and 9-10 girls under 12 minutes. Nevertheless, looks like it was a great race. Enjoy the moment!
ELC023 wrote:

@ELC023 Haha, congratulations to Makenzie for a great race. Love on here is derived from results during the season, and prior to yesterday, it doesn't look like there was much to go on this CC season. Historically, the current automated times don't tell the whole story. There have actually been nine 6th & Under girls under 12 at MOC going back to 2007, and if you add in results from the Cross Country Coaches Youth National Championships, which has used the same course when run at Masterson, there have been 26. In the 2010 CCCYNC race, there were 13 11-12 and 9-10 girls under 12 minutes. Nevertheless, looks like it was a great race. Enjoy the moment!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.