XC and Track Regional Sites
08/06/2013 12:06:45 PM
User
XC: http://khsaa.org/cross_country/siteselectionplan.pdf Track: http://khsaa.org/track/siteselectionplan.pdf Commence emoticon explosion.... :-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@>:-o>:-o>:-o>:-o>:-o8-o8-o8-o8-o?:-I?:-I:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@:-@
XC: http://khsaa.org/cross_country/siteselectionplan.pdf

Track: http://khsaa.org/track/siteselectionplan.pdf

Commence emoticon explosion....

08/06/2013 12:19:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@steeplecoach I see St. X got region 3 for XC for all three classes. Does that mean Champions Park (Tiger Run course) or Seneca or maybe even Tom Sawyer?
@steeplecoach

I see St. X got region 3 for XC for all three classes. Does that mean Champions Park (Tiger Run course) or Seneca or maybe even Tom Sawyer?
08/06/2013 1:20:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
looks like Steeple is not very happy. :-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#:-#
looks like Steeple is not very happy.

08/06/2013 1:44:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@steeplecoach Wait, what??? So AAA Region 4 is being hosted in cross country by a AAA Region 3 team this year and a AA Region 3 team next year, and track is being hosted by two different AAA Region 3 teams over the next two years? How the heck does that work?:-S
@steeplecoach

Wait, what??? So AAA Region 4 is being hosted in cross country by a AAA Region 3 team this year and a AA Region 3 team next year, and track is being hosted by two different AAA Region 3 teams over the next two years? How the heck does that work?
08/06/2013 2:02:10 PM
User
@BCrumbo Read this: http://khsaa.org/8513-xc-and-track-regional-sites-selected/ I'm sure there is some information within the on-line rules clinic, so I'm no genius on the topic since my login is at home. What I see to start with is that the schools in charge will be the ones coordinating the site at which everything will be held.Without knowing, I would guess that they may have the opportunity to share the responsibility of managing each of the specific regionals with the help of other coaches who are actually in those regionals. I am a little frustrated with the selection of the sites, but we will just apply to be considered in the future. :-) Questions that may need to be answered: 1. How will the responsibility of running these super regional meets be shared? 2. When will we finalize the specific race sites? Feel free to ask more questions and we will all try to make some more sense of this.
@BCrumbo

Read this: http://khsaa.org/8513-xc-and-track-regional-sites-selected/

I'm sure there is some information within the on-line rules clinic, so I'm no genius on the topic since my login is at home. What I see to start with is that the schools in charge will be the ones coordinating the site at which everything will be held.Without knowing, I would guess that they may have the opportunity to share the responsibility of managing each of the specific regionals with the help of other coaches who are actually in those regionals.

I am a little frustrated with the selection of the sites, but we will just apply to be considered in the future.

Questions that may need to be answered:
1. How will the responsibility of running these super regional meets be shared?
2. When will we finalize the specific race sites?

Feel free to ask more questions and we will all try to make some more sense of this.
08/06/2013 2:39:43 PM
Coach
You would think each region should be able to determine their on rotation.
You would think each region should be able to determine their on rotation.
08/06/2013 3:54:37 PM
Coach
Very curious how the bidding process worked.
Very curious how the bidding process worked.
08/06/2013 4:28:24 PM
Coach
@creekcc Classic example of solving a problem that doesn't exist.
@creekcc
Classic example of solving a problem that doesn't exist.
08/06/2013 4:54:50 PM
Coach
This has the potential to be the worst decision ever by KHSAA. I'll admit that it's obviously early, but I can foresee all kinds of issues here. In Cross Country, our Region agreed that we would like to establish some consistency by hosting at EP Tom Sawyer. I don't know what St X's plans would be this Fall, but in two years our region is hosted by Henry County, so all of what our region agreed upon will obviously go out the window so that we can supposedly reduce travel costs (no, we potentially increase them now for everyone in our region) and reduce the burden on officials (we only use 2 officials in CC, doubt that contributes to any shortage of officials). St X runs great meets, so I know our mega-Regional Meet would be run efficiently if they're in charge, but that's because they've got experience running big meets. There are not very many schools with that kind of experience though, and that only leads to some major questions over whether these big regional meets will be run well or run poorly as a result of this huge size. What about the timing of races? Regional day is ALWAYS an SAT date. If we can't start the Regional until 2:00-3:00, so as to accommodate schools with Regional kids taking the SAT, then how do we decide which of the 3 Regionals in our area runs in the dark at the end of the day? Don't even get me started with Track, because it looks like the scheduling problems that exist now will only get worse. I should say "scheduling problems" for regional managers who actually know what they're doing and follow the KHSAA guidelines by checking with schools within the region to make sure the regional isn't scheduled on a night when someone has a prom or graduation.
This has the potential to be the worst decision ever by KHSAA. I'll admit that it's obviously early, but I can foresee all kinds of issues here.

In Cross Country, our Region agreed that we would like to establish some consistency by hosting at EP Tom Sawyer. I don't know what St X's plans would be this Fall, but in two years our region is hosted by Henry County, so all of what our region agreed upon will obviously go out the window so that we can supposedly reduce travel costs (no, we potentially increase them now for everyone in our region) and reduce the burden on officials (we only use 2 officials in CC, doubt that contributes to any shortage of officials). St X runs great meets, so I know our mega-Regional Meet would be run efficiently if they're in charge, but that's because they've got experience running big meets. There are not very many schools with that kind of experience though, and that only leads to some major questions over whether these big regional meets will be run well or run poorly as a result of this huge size.

What about the timing of races? Regional day is ALWAYS an SAT date. If we can't start the Regional until 2:00-3:00, so as to accommodate schools with Regional kids taking the SAT, then how do we decide which of the 3 Regionals in our area runs in the dark at the end of the day?

Don't even get me started with Track, because it looks like the scheduling problems that exist now will only get worse. I should say "scheduling problems" for regional managers who actually know what they're doing and follow the KHSAA guidelines by checking with schools within the region to make sure the regional isn't scheduled on a night when someone has a prom or graduation.
08/06/2013 6:20:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@creekcc I am not sure if there was a bidding process or not. I don't think so. I think they may have looked at who had hosted in the past and who had facilities to host a larger meet, although I am not sure on that. I do know our AD knew nothing about it because he called me to see if we had been contacted about hosting. That being said, we'll take it and try to do the best job we can get with it and I hope it works out well, but I am not sure what the rationale was for putting all the regionals in one spot. In track, how is this going to work? Are we gonna have to host one on Friday night, one Saturday morning, and one saturday afternoon/evening?
@creekcc

I am not sure if there was a bidding process or not. I don't think so. I think they may have looked at who had hosted in the past and who had facilities to host a larger meet, although I am not sure on that. I do know our AD knew nothing about it because he called me to see if we had been contacted about hosting. That being said, we'll take it and try to do the best job we can get with it and I hope it works out well, but I am not sure what the rationale was for putting all the regionals in one spot.

In track, how is this going to work? Are we gonna have to host one on Friday night, one Saturday morning, and one saturday afternoon/evening?
08/06/2013 6:24:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@professor SAME HERE WITH TRACK! WOW! I agree with you completely.
@professor

SAME HERE WITH TRACK! WOW! I agree with you completely.
08/06/2013 8:03:47 PM
Coach
@professor I agree, bad decision making.
@professor

I agree, bad decision making.
08/06/2013 10:11:26 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Twice in a row Prof (what’s this world coming to?), we agree. This is ridiculous. First, Lexington is the second largest city in the state with an excellent facility in Masterson Station for Cross Country. Several teams host meets there every year and they do not select a single Lexington school to host any Regionals? GRC (30 minutes east) gets the nod for 2013 and there are no Regional anywhere near Lexington for the Lexington Schools in 2014. What??????? Second, for me personally in CC, our 2013 Region will be at GRC, which is physically located outside our Region area. Likely on a course that no one in our Region has ever run on. And this is announced after I have already submitted and received school approval on my meet schedule. Huh???? Then, in 2014 we go to Mason County which is the furthest possible point for us in the Region. Meanwhile, in 2014 a school IN MY COUNTY, 6 miles from our school and well within our Region physically is hosting a Region for schools who are not physically within this Region, all of whom have at least an hour and up to 3 hours to travel to get to their Regional site. What???? So, rather than centering the regional sites and picking sites where teams within the Region actually run, we go outside our Region in 2013 and then go to the furthest extreme point in 2014. All the while, there is a Region being hosted minutes from our school and well within our Region boundaries for another Region who will have to travel a minimum of 1 hour for every team in that Region. How does this make sense????? On the other hand, in Track our Region will be in Lexington both years at very nice tracks. Yay!! I'm not sure how these schools are going to host 3 Regions on the same Saturday but I'll be eagerly awaiting the answer. One way would be to have the 1A hurdles followed by the 2A hurdles, then 3A hurdles and then 1A 100 followed by the 2A 100, etc... That would give plenty of rest for athletes between events but also make for a VERY long day. Not sure how the jump pits and throws venues would work though. Also, several schools have hosted Regionals on some very nice college tracks (specifically EKU in our area and WKU down south) but I don't see any of them on the track host list. An alternative proposal would be to pick 11 sites to host the 21 Regions each year. At least that would make some sense and solve some of the logistic problems this creates. Unfortunately I see some extreme politics at work here. These schools are going to make a ton of money hosting 3 Regions and boosting their Invitationals as teams try to get on their course. I’m left scratching my head and wondering how these decisions get made. As many issues as there was with the realignment, I see this as even worse.
Twice in a row Prof (what's this world coming to?), we agree. This is ridiculous. First, Lexington is the second largest city in the state with an excellent facility in Masterson Station for Cross Country. Several teams host meets there every year and they do not select a single Lexington school to host any Regionals? GRC (30 minutes east) gets the nod for 2013 and there are no Regional anywhere near Lexington for the Lexington Schools in 2014. What???????

Second, for me personally in CC, our 2013 Region will be at GRC, which is physically located outside our Region area. Likely on a course that no one in our Region has ever run on. And this is announced after I have already submitted and received school approval on my meet schedule. Huh???? Then, in 2014 we go to Mason County which is the furthest possible point for us in the Region. Meanwhile, in 2014 a school IN MY COUNTY, 6 miles from our school and well within our Region physically is hosting a Region for schools who are not physically within this Region, all of whom have at least an hour and up to 3 hours to travel to get to their Regional site. What???? So, rather than centering the regional sites and picking sites where teams within the Region actually run, we go outside our Region in 2013 and then go to the furthest extreme point in 2014. All the while, there is a Region being hosted minutes from our school and well within our Region boundaries for another Region who will have to travel a minimum of 1 hour for every team in that Region. How does this make sense?????

On the other hand, in Track our Region will be in Lexington both years at very nice tracks. Yay!! I'm not sure how these schools are going to host 3 Regions on the same Saturday but I'll be eagerly awaiting the answer. One way would be to have the 1A hurdles followed by the 2A hurdles, then 3A hurdles and then 1A 100 followed by the 2A 100, etc... That would give plenty of rest for athletes between events but also make for a VERY long day. Not sure how the jump pits and throws venues would work though. Also, several schools have hosted Regionals on some very nice college tracks (specifically EKU in our area and WKU down south) but I don't see any of them on the track host list.

An alternative proposal would be to pick 11 sites to host the 21 Regions each year. At least that would make some sense and solve some of the logistic problems this creates.

Unfortunately I see some extreme politics at work here. These schools are going to make a ton of money hosting 3 Regions and boosting their Invitationals as teams try to get on their course. I'm left scratching my head and wondering how these decisions get made. As many issues as there was with the realignment, I see this as even worse.
08/06/2013 10:45:56 PM
Coach
@cbeckerson The world is obviously coming to an end if we agree twice on something!!! :-D First, I don't know if politicking explains St X getting our Regional. In my opinion, the KHSAA has rarely shown any interest in St X other than trying to get their football team playing Trinity in the semi or quarterfinal, rather than final. I think for the most part, they just went with whoever hosted last year. You're correct about the suddenly huge benefit being created for schools now scheduled to host these super Regionals. I'll go on the record though and say that our program definitely will not change our schedule just to run on some new Regional course. Hopefully, someone will see daylight on this, however, and our Region won't be forced to run at a location that none of us want to run at.
@cbeckerson
The world is obviously coming to an end if we agree twice on something!!!

First, I don't know if politicking explains St X getting our Regional. In my opinion, the KHSAA has rarely shown any interest in St X other than trying to get their football team playing Trinity in the semi or quarterfinal, rather than final. I think for the most part, they just went with whoever hosted last year.

You're correct about the suddenly huge benefit being created for schools now scheduled to host these super Regionals. I'll go on the record though and say that our program definitely will not change our schedule just to run on some new Regional course. Hopefully, someone will see daylight on this, however, and our Region won't be forced to run at a location that none of us want to run at.
08/07/2013 1:58:53 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
This one is easy, Regionals and State will know be run the same way. I am willing to bet the time scheduling will match up exactly like State. Class A Region 1 is a no way at Daviess County next year, every school in the region would have to travel [b]2 plus hours[/b] from real western Kentucky to run the meet at Yellow Creek.
This one is easy, Regionals and State will know be run the same way. I am willing to bet the time scheduling will match up exactly like State.

Class A Region 1 is a no way at Daviess County next year, every school in the region would have to travel 2 plus hours from real western Kentucky to run the meet at Yellow Creek.
08/07/2013 11:23:41 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Don't think that this is a done deal. Neither our AD or me were consulted about this until yesterday. I for one do not want to put on all these races. I don't get paid to do it, I just do our region when our turn comes up. It was supposed to be Nelson County's turn to host our region this year, but they are no longer in our region. Barry's right if you start the cc regions at 2, it may be dark before we're finished. Hosting a cc region is not very difficult,you have about 70 runners in each race. Hosting a track region is very difficult because of the number of volunteers it takes to make it run smoothly We'll take our turn and host our track region, but I will not host two.
Don't think that this is a done deal. Neither our AD or me were consulted about this until yesterday. I for one do not want to put on all these races. I don't get paid to do it, I just do our region when our turn comes up. It was supposed to be Nelson County's turn to host our region this year, but they are no longer in our region.
Barry's right if you start the cc regions at 2, it may be dark before we're finished.
Hosting a cc region is not very difficult,you have about 70 runners in each race.
Hosting a track region is very difficult because of the number of volunteers it takes to make it run smoothly
We'll take our turn and host our track region, but I will not host two.
08/07/2013 12:32:58 PM
Coach
@medleyc I think that sums up a lot of the sentiment with everyone else. Hosting a region is something you do because it's an obligation that falls on everyone in your region. Switching to mega-regions lessens the likelihood of (in my opinion) many schools being able to host or wanting to host, which means the responsibility will continually fall on a fairly small number of schools. That's especially true if the hosts are chosen on the basis of who "applies" to host a Regional, rather than the rotating across all the schools process we've always used in the past.
@medleyc
I think that sums up a lot of the sentiment with everyone else. Hosting a region is something you do because it's an obligation that falls on everyone in your region. Switching to mega-regions lessens the likelihood of (in my opinion) many schools being able to host or wanting to host, which means the responsibility will continually fall on a fairly small number of schools. That's especially true if the hosts are chosen on the basis of who "applies" to host a Regional, rather than the rotating across all the schools process we've always used in the past.
08/07/2013 1:07:11 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
So let me see if I got this right....Warren East high School is hosting 3 regional Cross Country meets...and then in Track they will do the same??...Now I have no problem with Warren East at all...what i do have a problem with is how no one was told about it...I know we werent..We were in the process of getting our location for regionals for both XC and Track and now this??........speechless
So let me see if I got this right....Warren East high School is hosting 3 regional Cross Country meets...and then in Track they will do the same??...Now I have no problem with Warren East at all...what i do have a problem with is how no one was told about it...I know we werent..We were in the process of getting our location for regionals for both XC and Track and now this??........speechless
08/08/2013 8:13:36 AM
Coach
@cbeckerson I AGREE ABOUT EVERYTHING BEING SAID ABOUT THE MOVING OF THE REGIONALS TO GRC AND THEN MASON COUNTY. THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT GRC IS IT IS CONVENIENTLY LOCATED RIGHT OFF THE INTERSTATE. I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT MASON COUNTY. SO MUCH FOR TRYING TO KEEP TRAVEL COSTS DOWN. DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW WHO WAS THE BRAINS BEHIND THIS DECISION?
@cbeckerson

I AGREE ABOUT EVERYTHING BEING SAID ABOUT THE MOVING OF THE REGIONALS TO GRC AND THEN MASON COUNTY. THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT GRC IS IT IS CONVENIENTLY LOCATED RIGHT OFF THE INTERSTATE. I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT MASON COUNTY. SO MUCH FOR TRYING TO KEEP TRAVEL COSTS DOWN.

DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW WHO WAS THE BRAINS BEHIND THIS DECISION?
08/08/2013 12:22:32 PM
Coach
I usually keep my mouth shut and go with the flow but in the past 2 months the KHSAA has come up with plans that were never discussed with anyone. They changed the regional realignment plan that was put out in the spring without ever bringing up the new plan for discussion now they change the regional site selection plan. Why did we have a meeting in the spring and last fall to set a rotation plan in motion? There were a few schools that are no longer in that region anymore, just go to the next school on the list! Not to sound like I am crying over spilled milk but pardon my French, my school got screwed 2 times in a month! 8-o
I usually keep my mouth shut and go with the flow but in the past 2 months the KHSAA has come up with plans that were never discussed with anyone. They changed the regional realignment plan that was put out in the spring without ever bringing up the new plan for discussion now they change the regional site selection plan. Why did we have a meeting in the spring and last fall to set a rotation plan in motion? There were a few schools that are no longer in that region anymore, just go to the next school on the list! Not to sound like I am crying over spilled milk but pardon my French, my school got screwed 2 times in a month!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.