Texas High School relay team DQ'd for "point to heavens"
05/06/2013 12:15:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just how far will some states go to infringe on students freedom of speech? [url=http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/texas-teen-points-heavens-gets-4-100-relay-181303156.html]Your text to link here...[/url]
Just how far will some states go to infringe on students freedom of speech?

Your text to link here...
05/06/2013 2:51:12 PM
User
I read this story and watched the video. The Texas HS Athletic governing body is taking the positon that it was "taunting" (and therefore actionable) as opposed to an expression of religion. Not sure how "taunting" is defined, but it is probably ambiguous and most certainly subjective - but in any case, it is hard to believe that this kid's actions rose to the required level.
I read this story and watched the video. The Texas HS Athletic governing body is taking the positon that it was "taunting" (and therefore actionable) as opposed to an expression of religion. Not sure how "taunting" is defined, but it is probably ambiguous and most certainly subjective - but in any case, it is hard to believe that this kid's actions rose to the required level.
05/06/2013 5:15:43 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
He talked back to the official. Read the Texas forum.
He talked back to the official. Read the Texas forum.
05/07/2013 12:38:08 PM
Coach
@KYinNC talked back is key word. There was no sense in anything having even been said to him. It is silliness.
@KYinNC talked back is key word. There was no sense in anything having even been said to him. It is silliness.
05/07/2013 8:38:37 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I have seen several kids point to the sky after a good race. I do not see how that is a problem. However, it is never a good idea to back talk an official. I find it hard to believe that the kid that points to the sky is the same type of kid that would back talk an official. There must be more to this story, someone is over reacting or not reporting all of the facts or something. After years of officiating I can not imagine DQing someone for just pointing to the sky.
I have seen several kids point to the sky after a good race. I do not see how that is a problem. However, it is never a good idea to back talk an official. I find it hard to believe that the kid that points to the sky is the same type of kid that would back talk an official. There must be more to this story, someone is over reacting or not reporting all of the facts or something. After years of officiating I can not imagine DQing someone for just pointing to the sky.
05/08/2013 10:33:13 AM
User
According to the University Interscholastic League of Texas, he crossed the finish line and pointed straight out in front of him. That brought out a red flag signaling a review by the official. There was then a "verbal exchange" that lead to the disqualification. He admitted in an interview that what he did was from the "thrill of victory, not a show of faith" and did not point to the heavens until AFTER the red flag. The forward point and verbal exchange, not a point upwards is what got the team disqualified.
According to the University Interscholastic League of Texas, he crossed the finish line and pointed straight out in front of him. That brought out a red flag signaling a review by the official. There was then a "verbal exchange" that lead to the disqualification. He admitted in an interview that what he did was from the "thrill of victory, not a show of faith" and did not point to the heavens until AFTER the red flag. The forward point and verbal exchange, not a point upwards is what got the team disqualified.
05/08/2013 2:38:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I show my girls the 30 for 30 episode of "The U" to brush up on the true way to celebrate. They will be prepared for the post season.
I show my girls the 30 for 30 episode of "The U" to brush up on the true way to celebrate. They will be prepared for the post season.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.