Will We Drop the Baton?
08/10/2012 11:59:22 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think we should run some sort of pool on here as to whether or not either of the 4x100 Olympic teams will drop the baton this year....we could be on which leg will drop it, whether someone will fall as well, which runner will get spiked in the calf, etc.....
I think we should run some sort of pool on here as to whether or not either of the 4x100 Olympic teams will drop the baton this year....we could be on which leg will drop it, whether someone will fall as well, which runner will get spiked in the calf, etc.....
08/10/2012 12:32:32 PM
Coach
Try to be positive. After watching the USA women 4x100 semi-final run the second fastest 4x100 ever run in the Olympics with the SUBS in there and not Jeter, and Felix, I get the impression with Jon Drummond coaching the relays rather than in the past having someone trying to ease over everyone's egos for positions on the relays (such as running your best runner last even though that runner is only going to run 90 meters at best), the USA should be in good shape. Here is hoping the Jamaican coach does not realize that running Usain at the # 2 leg would probably enable them to run them to run 35+. But I really figure the ego will allow him the glory running anchor. Not long will be interesting to watch Tyson hopefully run down the backstretch at the #2 leg.
Try to be positive. After watching the USA women 4x100 semi-final run the second fastest 4x100 ever run in the Olympics with the SUBS in there and not Jeter, and Felix, I get the impression with Jon Drummond coaching the relays rather than in the past having someone trying to ease over everyone's egos for positions on the relays (such as running your best runner last even though that runner is only going to run 90 meters at best), the USA should be in good shape. Here is hoping the Jamaican coach does not realize that running Usain at the # 2 leg would probably enable them to run them to run 35+. But I really figure the ego will allow him the glory running anchor. Not long will be interesting to watch Tyson hopefully run down the backstretch at the #2 leg.
08/10/2012 2:32:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@official Yeah, I am hoping they win em both. I was just kind of kidding. Drummond has done a good job. I was talking to our middle school coach and told her that the runs that ran the first round didn't run the 100 so they had probably been practicing handoffs quite a bit.
@official

Yeah, I am hoping they win em both. I was just kind of kidding. Drummond has done a good job. I was talking to our middle school coach and told her that the runs that ran the first round didn't run the 100 so they had probably been practicing handoffs quite a bit.
08/10/2012 10:41:59 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@official I will now eat crow!! WOW! Nice run, USA ladies! New WR!!
@official

I will now eat crow!! WOW! Nice run, USA ladies! New WR!!
08/11/2012 4:39:34 PM
Coach
@Toggle Men ran well too. Not a win, but a big AR and they looked great.
@Toggle
Men ran well too. Not a win, but a big AR and they looked great.
08/11/2012 6:47:46 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Dropping the Baton started at Rome in 1960. Our third best runner (Dave Sime) received a silver medal in the 100m. So they moved the anchor (Ray Norton) back to second and changed the second runner to fourth. Of course, they did not pratice in that order until right before the event. So when the first runner Frank Budd, handed off to Norton, they dropped the Baton. Sime retired to become an eye doctor in Florida, Budd set a world recore at 100y the next year, and Norton you never heard of again.
Dropping the Baton started at Rome in 1960. Our third best runner (Dave Sime) received a silver medal in the 100m. So they moved the anchor (Ray Norton) back to second and changed the second runner to fourth. Of course, they did not pratice in that order until right before the event. So when the first runner Frank Budd, handed off to Norton, they dropped the Baton. Sime retired to become an eye doctor in Florida, Budd set a world recore at 100y the next year, and Norton you never heard of again.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.