spike length

• marshall hill
    User
    hilldaddy1
    What are the length preferences for spikes? I know the xc length but my question is the 3/16 vs 1/4. At the EKU open 1/4" only will be allowed. What is the reason for this and what are xmas trees (also not allowed).
  • lili win
    User
    liki810
    Beijing time on April 19th, the United States of America today" times" magazine published in 2012 the world's most influential one of the list, Nicks New York Chinese boy Jeremy Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Lin not only successfully selected is beyond all expectations, some occupy the top position, became the most influential figure.
  • jason mullins
    Coach
    Insider
    jtmullins
    liki810
    Beijing time on April 19th, the United States of America today" times" magazine published in 2012 the world's most influential one of the list, Nicks New York Chinese boy Jeremy Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Lin not only successfully selected is beyond all expectations, some occupy the top position, became the most influential figure.

@liki810

Couldn't have explained it better myself. Hope that answers your question re: spike length Hilldaddy.
  • Barry Haworth
    Coach
    Insider
    professor
    hilldaddy1
    What are the length preferences for spikes? I know the xc length but my question is the 3/16 vs 1/4. At the EKU open 1/4" only will be allowed. What is the reason for this and what are xmas trees (also not allowed).

@hilldaddy1
    My first inclination is to say that xmas trees are something I think will have xmas presents beneath them each year, but for me it was always lumps of coal.

Of course, if you're referring to the spikes, then those are spikes which basically have ridges. Here's an ad with a picture.

They restrict xmas tree spikes and longer spikes at some meets because those spikes are thought to tear up the track a bit quicker. 1/4 inch is probably fine for just about every race, assuming you run on synthetic surfaces. If it's blacktop, then it's questionable whether spikes will help in any race. On cinder, longer than 1/4 is probably best.