Selections process for teams attending JV Championships??
10/10/2018 3:31:51 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
This race over the years had been the end race for our JV runners at Oldham County High School. It was a great way to finish off the year with some great competition. For many, this was the last race of their high school careers. We were notified that the race was made into an invitational event this year and neither OCHS JV team made the list of invited teams. Sadly, the team has worked hard all year and are currently ranked 8th in state at the Boys level and 2nd in the state in the Girls JV level based on MileSplit rankings. Given a very sound resume for both Boys/Girls OCHS team this year I was a bit disappointed that they weren't considered for this event. One would assume that you would want the best teams from the region to represent the "JV Championship" meet but that doesn't appear to be the case. Maybe I'm missing something or unaware of other factors influencing the selection of teams.
This race over the years had been the end race for our JV runners at Oldham County High School. It was a great way to finish off the year with some great competition. For many, this was the last race of their high school careers. We were notified that the race was made into an invitational event this year and neither OCHS JV team made the list of invited teams. Sadly, the team has worked hard all year and are currently ranked 8th in state at the Boys level and 2nd in the state in the Girls JV level based on MileSplit rankings. Given a very sound resume for both Boys/Girls OCHS team this year I was a bit disappointed that they weren't considered for this event. One would assume that you would want the best teams from the region to represent the "JV Championship" meet but that doesn't appear to be the case. Maybe I'm missing something or unaware of other factors influencing the selection of teams.
10/10/2018 3:51:35 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I am also disappointed that our athletes have been disrespected by not being invited. They have proven their talent throughout the year and should not be denied the opportunity to compete!
I am also disappointed that our athletes have been disrespected by not being invited. They have proven their talent throughout the year and should not be denied the opportunity to compete!
10/10/2018 9:02:21 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I at first thought maybe it was being limited to Jefferson County schools only, but I see North Oldham on the list of teams(deservedly so). What is the criteria for invitations? Surely there is a spot for Oldham County too?
I at first thought maybe it was being limited to Jefferson County schools only, but I see North Oldham on the list of teams(deservedly so). What is the criteria for invitations? Surely there is a spot for Oldham County too?
10/10/2018 9:12:24 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@jlhenage Also see holy cross and I can not find a single JV race they have competed in this year, am I missing something there or are they entering their varsity team in the JV race?
@jlhenage
Also see holy cross and I can not find a single JV race they have competed in this year, am I missing something there or are they entering their varsity team in the JV race?
10/10/2018 9:35:34 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@jlhenage Jefferson County has their own Championships that are limited to teams that competed in at least 4 Jefferson County events. In past years, this event has been traditionally hosted by and attended by regional parochial programs as well as teams outside Jefferson County. Oldham County has been participating in the meet for the past few years so I'm surprised the decision was made to not extend the invite especially given the success the team has posted this year. I know our JV runners looked at this as their last meet of the year to compete against quality runners as well to get one last push for time. In years past this even was used by coaches to finish out our varsity team selections for state alternates.
@jlhenage Jefferson County has their own Championships that are limited to teams that competed in at least 4 Jefferson County events. In past years, this event has been traditionally hosted by and attended by regional parochial programs as well as teams outside Jefferson County. Oldham County has been participating in the meet for the past few years so I'm surprised the decision was made to not extend the invite especially given the success the team has posted this year. I know our JV runners looked at this as their last meet of the year to compete against quality runners as well to get one last push for time. In years past this even was used by coaches to finish out our varsity team selections for state alternates.
10/10/2018 9:54:19 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@lsimonyi @dgconstant The race director said that there could still possibly be an invitation, but Metro Parks and Rec limit the amount of teams at Seneca Park. Hopefully he is able to find OC a spot.
@lsimonyi
@dgconstant
The race director said that there could still possibly be an invitation, but Metro Parks and Rec limit the amount of teams at Seneca Park. Hopefully he is able to find OC a spot.
10/11/2018 9:37:27 AM
User
I find it odd that suddenly this year the teams and numbers are limited and that NOHS was invited. Per the meet director they were invited because they reached out earlier in the summer and he felt it was not fair to not invite them. However, if you are going to limit the meet then don't invite one county school. It smacks of favoritism and not only puts NOHS in a bad position but puts OCHS and possibly SOHS at odds with a sister school. And, why the sudden cap? When was that put out by Metro?
I find it odd that suddenly this year the teams and numbers are limited and that NOHS was invited. Per the meet director they were invited because they reached out earlier in the summer and he felt it was not fair to not invite them. However, if you are going to limit the meet then don't invite one county school. It smacks of favoritism and not only puts NOHS in a bad position but puts OCHS and possibly SOHS at odds with a sister school. And, why the sudden cap? When was that put out by Metro?
10/11/2018 11:27:43 AM
User
As a runner who was hoping to have the opportunity to run in JV Champs I am completely upset and appalled by our lack of inclusion in the event. Our junior varsity teams, both boys and girls, have worked very hard throughout the season in anticipation for this meet. In fact, in all of my four years here, I believe this is not only the most talented group of JV runners our team has had, but also our most hard-working group of runners we have had. I can attest to the sheer amount of work put in by each JV runner dating back to early on in the summer, a solid month before official team practice. Every day we woke up early in the morning and battled the oppressive heat on our own accord, solely for the purpose of bettering ourselves in preparation for a successful season. Every practice we train with a varsity-level mentality. Our coaches stress to us repeatedly how a team is only as strong as its JV team, and I believe not including us in JV championships is an utter slap in the face. Not only a slap in the face to our commitment and hard work, but also a mockery of our success throughout the season. As a four-year-senior, I am especially upset that I will not have the opportunity to close out my cross country career with a chance to compete at JV champs. Additionally, as JV captain I can speak for every JV runner in saying that they feel the same way. I am hoping that for future runners this selection process is amended to accurately represent what should compose JV champs. Also, I am hoping that as long as our team is successful, we are never not invited again.
As a runner who was hoping to have the opportunity to run in JV Champs I am completely upset and appalled by our lack of inclusion in the event. Our junior varsity teams, both boys and girls, have worked very hard throughout the season in anticipation for this meet. In fact, in all of my four years here, I believe this is not only the most talented group of JV runners our team has had, but also our most hard-working group of runners we have had. I can attest to the sheer amount of work put in by each JV runner dating back to early on in the summer, a solid month before official team practice. Every day we woke up early in the morning and battled the oppressive heat on our own accord, solely for the purpose of bettering ourselves in preparation for a successful season. Every practice we train with a varsity-level mentality. Our coaches stress to us repeatedly how a team is only as strong as its JV team, and I believe not including us in JV championships is an utter slap in the face. Not only a slap in the face to our commitment and hard work, but also a mockery of our success throughout the season. As a four-year-senior, I am especially upset that I will not have the opportunity to close out my cross country career with a chance to compete at JV champs. Additionally, as JV captain I can speak for every JV runner in saying that they feel the same way. I am hoping that for future runners this selection process is amended to accurately represent what should compose JV champs. Also, I am hoping that as long as our team is successful, we are never not invited again.
10/11/2018 4:10:42 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@Mlquiram Well said young man.
@Mlquiram
Well said young man.
10/11/2018 11:23:46 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Mlquiram I agree 100%
@Mlquiram
I agree 100%